Tour Blog #4: Philadelphia, PA

Host families are already going above and beyond by providing a place for us to crash, so you can imagine how surprised we were to see a breakfast buffet lined up before us when we woke up at Whitney’s in Richmond. Personally, I can’t think of a better way to wake up than in front of fresh fruit and breakfast tacos. It certainly put springs in our steps as we loaded up the van and headed out to Philly. 

 I don’t know if anyone is aware, but Philly is actually very, very cold. I’ve converted from my leather jacket to my winter coat, and I don’t think I’ve taken it off. I’m already dreading Canada. 

 We began the three-hour trek to the city of brotherly love, planning our quest for the best Philly cheese steaks. From what I heard, they were pretty bomb, but it was so cold outside that we all scarfed down our food and high-tailed it back to the van. 

 We had about two hours before the show, so I started harping on the guys about getting the interviews for the documentary done—we were three days behind at that point. Unable to find a location that was quiet enough, we decided to do them in the van. Hopefully we’ll be able to do them in more attractive locations in the future, but I kind of like the scruffiness. The guys gave me great answers that really give insight to everything that had happened before I got there. I’m just hoping I have enough b-roll to go under all the audio! 

Philadelphia was our first Sofar show. For those of you that may not know, Sofar is an organization that puts on intimate concerts for small but superbly talented bands. Attendees have to apply to be able to get tickets. They then receive the locations and dates/times of the shows, but sometimes aren’t even told who’s playing until they get there. It’s a really cool way to discover new music, so TNS value it very highly. Attendees usually sit on the floor, bring their own booze, and come ready to hear the stories behind the music. 

 This show was particularly difficult to shoot, because there wasn’t really a good place for me to stand. The light, while on the bright side to the naked eye, was not very intense. I ended up running halfway up the stairs and dangling my camera over the crowd to get some. The set was also only four to five songs, so I didn’t have much time to shoot. I do feel better prepared than last night moving forward, though. We have another Sofar in New York City tomorrow, so hopefully I’ll be able to get better content. 

 We then loaded up and went to the Weinstein’s. Their son, Will, has been one of my closest friends since I came to college. He often writes reviews for shows I shoot, and we co-deejay a radio show together every week. I mentioned to him that I was going to Philly, and his family graciously offered to host us for the night. I wish we’d had more time to visit with them, but we all passed out very quickly. 

 I’m starting to settle into the routine, but not necessarily in a bad way. It’s the same basic steps—load out, set up, sound check, play, shoot, merch, load in, edit, bed, wake up, load in, drive, load out, etc. etc., but each city is a new experience in some ways. It’s probably monotonous for the guys because they’ve done it so many times and they’ve been to most of these cities, but it’s really a new adventure for me every day. I wish I could spend more time in each city, but that’s just not how it works out, unfortunately. 

 Also, tour ate my phone charger. It’s not really relevant but I’m pretty sad about it. 

I’m really looking forward to NYC tomorrow, it’ll be my first time in the city and we’ll be there for two days. Hopefully we’ll be able to get some cool promo shots and such around the city. Until next time, cheers!