Tour Blog #5: NYC

We awoke at the Weinstein’s to bagels and brownies, and I was such a fan. Again, I wish I could’ve spent more time with them, but we pretty much left Philly as soon as we ate. It was about a two-and-a-half-hour drive to New York City, so we wanted to leave early to see the city before we had to load in to the venue. 

 This was my first time in New York City, so I geeked out quite a bit as we city came into view. Cory turned on “Welcome to New York” by Taylor Swift, and as cheesy as it was, it definitely fit my mood. I’m not sure I could see myself living here because of the weather, but New York is super cool. I like the way something is always going on, whether it’s art, music, or a man peeing right on the street. 

 We grabbed street pizza (surprisingly good) and took some promo shots around the city, which was a cool way to explore. Because we’re spending two days in New York, we unpacked our overnight bags into the apartment we’re staying in, which was truly a beautiful feeling. This optimism prepared me for the next hour of crushing defeat. 

Ever since the band picked me up, Cory has been talking nonstop about a dessert place called DŌ. The band saw a video about it on Facebook awhile back, and it’s basically like an ice cream shop, but with cookie dough instead. They have a ton of different flavors, and they scoop it out into cones or bowls, or make it into sundaes. The apartment is fairly close to it, so we decided to brave the cold. JT, Shanan, and Michael all bailed after the found out the line was about an hour long, but Cory and I stuck it out. Outside. In the cold. For 50 minutes. I couldn’t actually feel my feet by the end of it, but it was still 100% worth it. Cory reports that he has fulfilled his purpose in life and can pretty much do whatever he wants now. 

 We then went back to the apartment and watched a Netflix special, although I ended up taking a nap. This was a strange moment of free time that we really don’t get a lot of. 

This first day in NYC was another Sofar show (check out my other blog posts if you don’t know what this means). Unfortunately, my photos didn’t turn out very well. I was basically completely unable to move from my spot selling merch because the room was so crowded, and the lights were super dim. I’m lucky to be with a band that’s so understanding—I could easily see that it would be frustrating for your PHOTOGRAPHER to not get good PHOTOS. I do think, however, I likely got some good video for the documentary/music videos.

 Shanan and Michael stayed at Shanan’s aunt’s for the night, so we dropped them off and grabbed some food before heading back to the apartment to crash. 

 It’s such a rush to see New York City, but even more than that, it’s a rush to know that I brought myself here. Obviously not literally, I haven’t even driven the van, but in a big-picture sense. A ton of my friends have been to NYC on vacations or with friends or family (and there’s nothing wrong with that), but to be taken to this place I’ve always wanted to go on business at 18 years old is an amazing feeling. I’m reminded of how lucky I am to be able to follow my dreams every time I look out the window. 

 This isn’t to say I haven’t taken my fair share of L’s. Right now I’m standing at a cracked lens filter, missing phone charger, and missing daisy hat. And if I don’t find that hat by the end of tour, there will be hell to pay. 

 I truly couldn’t think of a better way to spend my spring break other than, again, maybe a west coast tour. I’m out here living (and freezing)—stay tuned for more!